Fermented eggplant is versatile and can be served at any occasion. It can be used in simple salads, added to baba ganouch or served as a savorury appetizer at a buffet. It is convenient to take to a picnic or barbecue party. I am sure, if people knew how easy some of these recipes were, they would almost certainly ask…
I have met many people who are not fond of eggplant at all, but found fermented eggplant different in taste, more pleasant with fresh sourness, deep flavour and with the aromas of herbs and garlic. The cooking method reminds me of the fermented tomatoes.
In the Caucasus and Central Asia, an eggplant is usually fermented whole, with a deep cut in the middle filled with herbs and carrots.
This recipe is a refined version of mine. It is easier to serve as individual portions. And it is eye-catching at the table!Print
Fermented filled eggplant rolls for any occasion
3 medium-sized eggplants
3 large carrots
4 garlic cloves
1 celery stalk
1 bunch parsley
6 black peppercorns
1 tbs iodine-free salt for the filling
1.5 tablespoons iodine-free salt per liter of water for the brine
A 1-liter glass jar with lid
1. Bring water to a boil in a large 5-7 liter saucepan. Let it simmer.
2. Cut off the leaf base from the eggplant and slice lengthwise into 3-4 mm steaks.
3. Put them in the boiling water and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes. The slices should be cooked but not mushy. Strain the eggplant and allow to cool.
4. In the meantime prepare the filling. Peel the carrots and grate them in the food processor or using the grater. Peel and chop the garlic finely. Cut celery stalks in thin slices. Chop parsley and coriander with stalks. Mix all ingredients and one tbs of salt in a bowl.
5. Spoon about 2 tbsp of the filling onto one end of each eggplant and roll.
6. Put the rolls in the jar, tight to each other.
7. For the brine: dissolve 1,5 tablespoons salt per liter of lukewarm water. Pour the brine over the rolls, until covered with water, add the black peppercorns on top. Cover with lid. Let ferment at a room temperature for a week. The eggplant rolls are ready and can be stored in the refrigerator.
8. Drizzle some good-quality oil over the eggplant before serving.